Wednesday 23 February 2011

4. How did you use media technologies in the construction and research, planning and evaluation stages?

PRE-PRODUCTION:-
The internet was highly valuable in the research stage of my production task. The advance in technology through web 2.0 has enabled audiences to also be producers and distributors, not just viewers (they have the capability to write and not just read).

Websites such as YouTube and blogger allowed me to access and view other teaser trailers to research, analyse and inform me as to how I should structure mine. Via YouTube I had immense access to film trailers of diverse genres and Bollywood cinema. This medium was an invaluable tool in researching and studying media conventions such as editing, cinematography, lighting, Mise-en-scene, the difference types of shots etc. From this I was able to decided and learn how I would assimilate and reject media conventions in my own product.

The use of Google allowed me to access and find websites such as Yash Raj productions that tend to highlights their ‘forth-coming attractions’ this creates a hype and excitement amongst their audiences before launching the official film website, this advancement in technology has allowed myself another possibility as to how I could create a mega hype and furthermore promote my film. For example ‘Elysha Bakhsh Production’

PRODUCTION:-
While producing my teaser trailer I was given a Panasonic Video camera to use, and the optional use of a tripod. Seeing as I was not interested in creating Hollywood’s verisimilitude (continuity editing, three point lighting, 180 degree rule, perfect sound etc), but more like an independent film or styles that existed in the ‘1960s French New Wave films’




As mentioned in my ‘Audience Feedback’ I chose NOT to use social networking sites to distribute questionnaires. As my actress did not want friends and family to see it- I decided to use the traditional paper method. However when it came to viewing the product by the audience- I linked my laptop to my HD wide screen plasma 42 inch television with speakers to create a cinematic effect; this worked well and was a very effective use of technology-this a can tell from the response of my audiences who were mesmerised by the screen.

POST-PRODUCTION:-

I used iMovie to editing my clips- I was able to split long clips and cut areas not needed. I found splitting clips was really useful when putting the teaser trailer together as there were certain shots I wanted to include in the beginning of a particular clip where the ending was not so good- so I was able to cut the ending out by splitting them. iMoive allowed me to use video effects, I used the fast and slow button where I could fasten or slow down certain areas in the trailer. I had a slow effect in the beginning for a grand entrance of my female protagonist; this was however followed by a faster effect whereby I wanted to create tension when introducing the police officer.


I found iMovie was not ideal for producing teaser trailers as there was a limit to how short I could cut the clip; in teaser trailers certain clips are often extremely short. So I think if I had used a better editing software my teaser trailer, especially the genre of mine would have been much more efficient and intense which was the effect I wanted, this may have hindered my product from being absolutely identical to a real media product. Furthermore, I recognised the limited font choice iMovie, this however was not a big issue to me as the typography I wanted for my title consisted in the option provided on iMoive.

No comments:

Post a Comment